The European Audiovisual Observatory currently has a temporary vacancy for a System Administrator – IT maintenance and development (Grade B4) to join us in Strasbourg as soon as possible
As system administrator you would contribute to the running of the IT Asset Management (chiefly Linux servers), the network, relations with other entities (mainly the Council of Europe’s IT Department) and maintenance of business applications (databases and on-line services) under the authority of the Executive Director and the Head of the IT unit of the European Audiovisual Observatory.
As system administrator, you would perform all or a combination of the following key activities:
- Manage day-to-day tasks: provide user support, documents support/maintenance (third-party maintenance) procedures, monitor system alerts and take the required action, both corrective and preventative, monitor back-ups, update the servers and installed, software etc.;
- Handle maintenance for the data scraping application for VOD services (project listing European films available on VOD) and keep the application in operational condition;
- Play an active role in consolidating and improving the IT system, including by making suggestions for enhancing processes such as: containerisation of applications (Docker), devops, migrating SVN (Subversion) repositories to Git, securing web services and applications;
- Report to your hierarchical superior on the situation and progress of activities and point out any problems;
- Take part in projects to develop new applications and redevelop existing ones, particularly the Observatory's databases, where applicable in conjunction with outside companies.
The following competencies are required:
- Professional and technical expertise:
- Sound IT development skills: knowledge of web-oriented Open Source languages (Python, PHP, etc.) and scripting (bash), development environment (IDE), experience of associated frameworks and use of a collaborative development platform (Github);
- Experience of system and Linux network administration;
- Very good knowledge of one of the official languages (English or French) and good knowledge of the other.
- Planning and work organisation
- Analysis and problem solving
- Teamwork and co-operation
- Concern for quality
- Service orientation
It would be a plus if you had, in addition, the following competencies:
- Knowledge of SQL language (preferably PostgreSQL) and RDBMS; notions of BI (Business Intelligence);
- Project management;
and could bring with you adaptability and general communication skills.
Expressions of interest:
You are invited to express your interest, in English or French, by sending an application to email@example.com by 7 December 2018 at the latest.
Your application should include:
- A complete CV indicating which of the above competencies and possible additional skills you possess;
- A brief letter of motivation;
- Contact details allowing us to reach you easily;
- Information on your earliest availability.
You may also include the contact of a reference person if you so wish.
Whereas this position is limited to nine (9) months, the Observatory will be strengthening its IT Unit in the near future.
For any questions concerning this position, please contact Cyril Chaboisseau on + 33 390 21 6009