This new report - Supply of audiovisual media services in Europe: MAVISE insights - 2019 edition -provides an overview of the supply of services (TV channels and on-demand) available in the European audiovisual media landscape. It initially focuses on the availability and establishment of television and on-demand services in Europe. Secondly it looks at the access and distribution of audiovisual services in Europe. And finally it takes a look at the audiovisual media services in Europe which target non-domestic markets. Its findings come from the European Audiovisual Observatory’s MAVISE TV and VOD database which has just been up-dated with new 2019 data freely accessible on line. MAVISE is a free access database on television channels and on-demand services and licences in 41 European countries and Morocco. The United Kingdom data is included in the report as the reference period is prior to the withdrawal.
Our report finds that, for 2019:
- 11 418 TV channels were available in the MAVISE territories (41 European countries plus Morocco) and 4 757 of these were local TV channels
- 6 420 national and international TV channels were established in the MAVISE territories and 4 657 of these were in the EU, 1 748 in the other European MAVISE territories and 15 in Morocco
- A total of 5 496 TV broadcasting licences were issued for the 6 420 TV channels established in the MAVISE territories. 3 831 of these licences were issued for the 4 657 TV channels established in the EU28 alone
- 1 in 5 TV channels established in the MAVISE territories were accessible via digital terrestrial television
- Almost 2 out of 3 pay on-demand services established in Europe belonged to the film & TV fiction genre (62%)
- More than one fifth of all TV channels (21%; n=993) and almost half (47%; n=434) of pay-on-demand services based in the EU28 specifically targeted other EU28 markets in 2019
Managed by the European Audiovisual Observatory and supported by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union, the MAVISE database is up-dated every year with new facts and figures. It provides individual data for TV channels and video-on-demand services available in Europe including detailed information as regards targeting, ownership and licensing. The customized result lists can be downloaded for free in EXCEL tables.